Third Party Reporting

Third Party Reporting (previously known as Remote Reporting) is a way of reporting a crime, including Hate Crime, or passing on information without talking to the police directly. There are a number of different organisations, including ELREC, throughout Edinburgh (E Division) and Lothians and the Scottish Borders (J Division) of the Police Service of Scotland area where victims, witnesses, carers or others can speak privately to a member of staff, and we will pass your information onto the police.

ELREC provides Third Party Reporting as a free service. To Third Party Report Hate Crime please contact us by calling 0131 556 0441 or email us at and we will get in touch with you.

Third Party Reporting is not suitable for incidents that require an immediate response or urgent contact with the police. In such cases, the use of emergency number 999 is recommended.

The 101 non-emergency number will make it quicker and easier for you to contact the police when you don’t need an emergency response, for example to:

  • speak to your local police officer
  • report a crime that’s already happened, such as a theft or damage to property
  • get crime prevention advice
  • make the police aware of any policing issues in your area